I've had thyroid issues for many years now, probably eight or so. I have to take medication daily and have semi-annual check-ups with my endocrinologist to have my levels checked. Apparently this butterfly-shaped gland of mine is three times the size of a normal one. Hmmm, and I always just thought it was extra fat in my neck. :) Back in November, my doc sent me for a sonogram because I hadn't had one in about 5 years on it and thought it would be a good idea. She feels my neck at each visit to check for nodules, but the thing is so dang big in general. Anyways, I went for the sonogram at the hospital and was supposed to have my regular appointment a week or so after that. A few days after the sono, I called to check on the results and the nurse simply said everything looked fine and that the doc would talk to me in more detail about it at my appointment in a few days. Well, I ended up having to cancel and reschedule. Fast-forward two months later.
This week I went for my bloodwork so that it would be processed by my check-up today. Levels are completely out of control, anti-bodies are sky-rocketed (basically attacking my thyroid gland), and it's still way too big and even putting off heat! Then we jump to the sono results. Apparently, I have a complex cyst (comprised of both liquid and solid) on my thyroid. Eeeeeek! Usually they don't care too much if it's all liquid, but since it's partially a solid mass I have to go have a biopsy on it. Sometime next week, I get to go to the hospital to have a sonogram-guided biopsy with a needle going into my neck. Eeeeek!!!
Needless to say, I'm a little freaked out about the procedure. Seriously, who wants a needle going into their neck, while they're wide awake?! Looks like I'll be dragging hubby along with me to this fun event. And I made the mistake of Googling too much info about all this and even watched a video of it. Eeeeeek!! I'm trying to not even think about what the results could be. My doc seemed pretty confident that it is benign, but you never know. And then what do we do with this thing? Does it have to get drained? Surgery to remove it? So many questions in my head right now. And like I have time for this added stress right now!
Anyways, that's what's going on in my life today. Yippee! Any spare prayers are welcome.




1 comment:
Holy cow, Jen!! I will definitely keep you in our prayers and thoughts!! That does not sound like fun! Please keep us posted!
Post a Comment