Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, June 30, 2014

INDIA: What I've Learned So Far

I will go ahead and preface this post that the below list was as a result of my own personal experience in India and may differ from others. I've learned alot in my first week here, so in no particular order.....
  1. Handsoap in the bathrooms is a hot commodity. It was 4 days into my first week before the dispenser was refilled. (I went through ALOT of hand sanitizer!)
  2. A construction hat can double as a motorcycle helmet and be acceptable.
  3. It's common for a woman to ride 'side saddle' on the back of the motorcycle/scooter (and not fall off!).
  4. Stripes on the roads and dividers are a waste of money here. What's the point?
  5. Only drivers of the motorcycle have to wear a helmet. A wife or small child riding as passengers ride at their own risk and just hold on for dear life. 
  6. A spa day costs significantly less in India, even at a classy hotel like the JW Marriott.
  7. It's easy to get caught up in Orange is the New Black. You may sit up in bed 10 episodes later on a Sunday, wondering where the day went.
  8. A Chi hair straightener requires more voltage than allowed by an Indian hotel outlet. No bueno!!
  9. Car seats are practically unheard of here. Holy crap!
  10. All of my 'students' were super-friendly. Although, they can get quite argumentative on whether their test answers were correct.
  11. The GDC is basically on lockdown, with a badge required to get through nearly every door and classroom.
  12. I still can't remember the conversion of Rupees to the Dollar. Gets me every time.
  13. Unlike America, not all food establishments accept credit cards.
  14. It's not unusual to have cows just standing in the road in the city streets.
  15. Diet Dr. Pepper cannot be found. Anywhere. And Diet Coke is a luxury I found only on occasion.
  16. I am  not meant to be a teacher. I have very little patience.
  17. FaceTime is your best friend when you're halfway across the world away from your family.
  18. The time zone difference sucks. You're basically sleeping when everyone else is awake/working and vice versa.
  19. When ordering water, you MUST specify bottled and chilled.
I can't wait to see what other great knowledge I will gain in my last week here! :)

No comments: