Wow, I'm actually in India! After a getting an Indian Visa and a round of shots to protect me from anything I could contract while here, I was given the all clear to head out of the U.S. Who would have ever thought that a little white girl from a small country TX town would be going to freakin' India for two weeks?! Definitely not me. And all week long I had a 'bucket list' of all my favorite foods I had to eat before leaving: Lots of Chik-fil-a, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, hibachi, chicken fettuccine alfredo, big ol' greasy cheeseburger, etc. I feel like I gained 5lbs. this past week! (And I may have visited Sonic everyday for a cherry vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper!)
Getting my shots!
It was definitely a tough goodbye before I left. I admit, I cried like a baby saying goodbye to my boys. I'm missing 3 weekends and countless hugs, bathtimes, bedtime stories, and nerf gun fights. FaceTime just won't be the same. I don't think they really grasp how long Mommy is going to be gone. I made them their own little countdown calendar so that they can mark off the days til I come back. All week long I was an anxious mess, dreading having to say goodbye.
Since I was traveling for work, I was able to fly business class. Let me tell you, that's the way to go! Especially for two 10-hr flights. My first leg to London was supposed to leave Dallas at 9pm on Friday night. I checked in, relaxed in the Admirals Lounge with a couple cocktails, boarded the plane, and had two glasses of champagne before we even took off. We finally start taxiing from the gate, only to turn back a few minutes later. Uh oh. Apparently there was a leak somewhere. Not something I want to hear about before a flight across a damn ocean! After maintenance assessed it, it was determined we would have to get off the plane and wait for a replacement plane. UGH! This also meant that I was going to miss my connecting flight in London to India due to the delays. Once I finally got back on the replacement plane, it was after midnight and my head was pounding from all the pre-flight drinks I indulged in and not eating a thing. I quickly downed some Advil PMs and laid out my seat with pillow and blanky and passed out. Next thing I know (after sleeping through dinner), I was being shaken awake to eat my breakfast because we were less than 2 hours out from London. Wowsers! And with the long flight and time change, my birthday was already half over!
Hanging out in the London Airport on my Birthday!
After navigating my way through the London airport (holy crap), I headed to the gate to figure out how I was going to get to India now. Long story short, adding an extra connection and another 12 hours to my travel time before I finally reach my destination. However, after finally dealing with that headache, I get a phone call from Jordan telling me he was just in a wreck. A bad one, where some lady pulled out and t-boned him in the truck (Logan's), did alot of damage, and he was sitting in the back of the ambulance getting assessed. WHAT.THE. HELL. I knew I shouldn't have left the country!!! Thankfully, he's ok for the most part (just pretty sore) and the boys weren't in the truck with him. I really needed a drink now; afterall, it was officially my birthday! While waiting for my flight, I relaxed in the British Airways lounge, with some snacks and endless amounts of alcohol. I got to FaceTime with the boys a bit, so that was good. I love hearing Austin say 'Happy Birthday My Love!"
Gotta love technology!
Hello London!
I once again loaded up onto another British Airways flight from London to Delhi. I can't imagine taking a flight like this back in Coach. Definitely spoiled now! Then after a quick flight from Delhi to Bangalore, I had FINALLY reached my destination (12 hours past my original time). I was in desperate need of a shower and a bed.
All comfy up in business class!
My biggest fear this whole time was arriving in India and walking out and nobody standing there with my name written on a card waiting for me. Wouldn't you know, there was a very nice Indian man waiting in the crowd to take exhausted Jen and my bags to the JW Marriott. Yay! After an interesting (a.k.a. scary) ride to the hotel, I got checked in and unpacked my bags for my 2-week stay. This place is pretty sweet! First order of business, get a shower and some room service. First meal in India? A pizza. :) I'm not an adventurous eater, and am definitely playing it safe while over here.
I got a call from the concierge a few minutes ago, asking if they could bring a birthday surprise up to my room from my co-workers back home. Three people brought in a chocolate birthday cake, a dozen red roses, and sang Happy Birthday to me. (And they insisted on taking pictures with me......awkward.) But I seriously work with THE BEST TEAM at KPMG and am feeling the love from back home in the States! Thank you!
So I'm all settled in now, ready to get some sleep before my first big day instructing tomorrow. This time zone thing is messing with me, so I may be taking some more Advil PM to ensure I get a good night's rest. Hopefully it goes well, even though I hate public speaking/presenting. But I brought chocolates from America to 'buy' their attention. ;)
P.S. Funny enough, tonight I was laying in bed watching the Sex and the City movie, where the girls are in Mexico and Charlotte accidentally got shower water in her mouth and crapped her pants. Definitely keeping my mouth closed in the showers here! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment