I'm finally getting around to wrapping up my India trip on the blog. The second week was exhausting. Teaching all day, then going back to my hotel room and catching up on my regular job during 'U.S. hours' when everyone else was awake was alot. But I was basically a lazy bum that Sunday. I left my room for breakfast only and then spent hours watching Netflix. A productive day for sure. :) But just what I needed.
I continued to chat with the family back home daily through FaceTime. The boys kept asking me if I was still on vacation!! I guess because I was in a hotel room when they chatted me, they thought Mommy was chilling in some tropical location! Wrong. The second week there was definitely harder than the first. Homesickness set in full force. I got a little cranky. On my last day in the office, my class brought in a cake for me, and got me two small gifts. It was sweet of them to do that. They're all coming to Dallas for additional training once they come to the U.S. in a few weeks, and seem excited to reconnect with me then.
On my last night there, it was July 4th. Obviously, I wasn't home to celebrate and watch fireworks with the family, so I had to make the best of it. Afterall, I only had a few hours left! One of our senior managers from the New Orleans office is currently living over there with his wife, and he hosted a small cookout for the U.S. peeps. I'm really glad I went and had a great time with some bocce ball, grilling out, and drinking some good ol' Budweiser. After getting a little tipsy and sleeping just a few hours, I checked out of the hotel at 4am and headed off to the airport to begin my long journey home. Thankfully, my return trip back to the U.S. was uneventful and on-time. I couldn't wait to get back and be reunited. And let me tell you. When I finally walked out of the international terminal at DFW and was greeted by my family, it was pure bliss. I was that crazy lady crying who just dropped her bags, dropped to her knees and welcomed two sweet little boys into my arms. Chase was holding a 'Mommy' sign and Austin was clutching some roses for me. It was nearly straight out of a movie, just surreal.
After that, it was just days of trying to recover again from the jetlag. All I seemed to want to do is sleep. All the damn time. And I nearly did! I took a few days off from work to relax and spend with the family, but now I'm back at it! A big thanks to the hubby for holding down the fort while I was gone. I'm sure my absence for 15 days was no vacation for him, and he hung in there like a trooper!
Overall, it was an experience traveling that far, for that long, all by myself. Granted, I was pretty sheltered with my personal driver, posh hotel, business class airfare, etc., but still, give me some credit! I have a feeling I'll be back to India again for my job, and will try to be more adventurous. And I WILL be bringing a co-worker along next time!


No comments:
Post a Comment