Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Falling Apart

In a few months, I will turn the big 3-0 and I swear, my body is just falling apart on me! :)

Last week I went in to have my biopsy done.  I was so nervous and stressed about it all week.  Luckily, they let Jordan come back into the procedure room with me.  But between the radiologist, pathologist, and ultrasound tech, there wasn't any room for Jordan to be by my side.  He just had to wait patiently in his little chair across the room until it was over.  First off, I was very excited/relieved that it was the actual radiologist that performed the actual procedure, not just some random ultrasound tech.  After taking some images of my big 'ol thyroid and the nodule on it, they then stuck the needle in.  I just clinched my eyes closed waiting for them to be done.  I'm usually one to watch when getting my blood taken, but no way in hell was I going to watch them suck stuff out of my neck.  They drained some of the fluid from the cyst and then took a sample of it to be tested.  Then we moved onto the solid part of the cyst, when he was moving the needle all around to get some of it.  Yowsers!  Finally, they were done.  After waiting for confirmation from the pathologist that they had retrieved enough cells, we were on our way.  Immediately afterwards, I didn't feel too bad.  But after about 30 minutes, my neck was swollen and sore.  I could barely turn my head to the side, and felt like I had whiplash or something.  Jordan picked up some food for me on the way home, and then I popped some ibuprofen and took my butt to bed.  I think I laid in bed til 2pm.

Finally, this morning I got a call from the endocrinologist's office with my test results.  It's benign!  Yay, what a relief.  I have to be honest; I've been worried about the 'C' word all week.  I think I would have been fine had it been; I don't think thyroid cancer is a death sentence by any means.  But I'm certainly thankful that it didn't turn out that way.  Now, I will continue on my higher dosage of meds and other supplements and report back in 6 weeks.  Since it's benign, I'm not quite sure what we'll do from here.  If this this is going to keep getting bigger, and pressing on my thyroid and esophagus, I'd just rather get it taken out.

In other health news, I've been feeling very 'off' lately. (No, I'm not pregnant!)  About two weeks ago, I had an 'episode' where all of sudden in a store I got a wave of nausea, light-headed, and dizzy.  After sitting on a bench to wait, Jordan brought the car around for me.  Then I got in the car and blacked out, not remembering anything for the following hour.  Scary! And I've had a couple other days where I've gotten dizzy, light-headed, nauseous, and a headache again (but no blacking out).  So, off to the doctor.  But I had to find another doctor because my doctor I had been going to since I was twelve had retired last year and sold his practice.  Bummer, I miss him so much!  I searched the internet and found a suitable one nearby and went in yesterday.  She ran a full blood panel, and everything came back fine today.  Now I'm getting a referral to a cardiologist.  Grrrrrr.  More doctors appointments.  In busy season.  I don't really have time for all of this right now, but I know that I have to put my health first and figure out what's going on with my body.  It very well could be my crazy thyroid throwing my body completely off, but we'll check other things out for sure. 

Hello, doctor bills! :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

So happy that it's benign! I'm glad that you're getting checked out for the other thing too. That's scary!! I've had a variety of stuff come up lately too, and I am also blaming 3-0. Hence, I am refusing to turn thirty this June. Want to join me in celebrating our second annual 29th b-day??