Similar to what I usually do for the New Year on the blog giving highlights of each month, here's a highlight reel of our decade together.
2003: Obviously, the highlight of 2003 was our wedding. I don't remember much about it, but I know the reception was a blast. After our nuptials, we vacationed for a week on a cruise. It was my first, and I was hooked! And our first Christmas together as the Houghams, we welcomed our first 'baby', Brady! Even though we were married, we didn't see each other much while both working and going to school full time. What were we thinking?! Oh yeah, young and in love!
2004: Wow, alot happened the following year. We celebrated our first anniversary on a Caribbean cruise (again!), while soaking up the sun and drinking way too much rum punch. Jordan graduated from college in August, we purchased our first home in November, and I graduated in December. We were sooooo glad to finally be done with school; now time to be full-fledged adults.
2005: In January, I began my journey at KPMG into the hectic world of public accounting. Geez, the hours were a killer! During my first busy season, I grew accustomed to 70hr workweeks. Jordan was understanding and supportive. While we weren't working, we enjoyed our free time hanging out with friends, going to concerts, floating the river, etc. We may have gotten married really young, but we could still have a good time! :)
2006: Hmmm. I don't really know what the highlight of 2006 was. As I looked back through all of my pictures from that year, it really looks like we did a lot of partying and relaxing. ;) Isn't that what you're supposed to do before you have kids?!
2007: This was a tough year for us. After trying to get pregnant for a year solid, we finally got good news, only to suffer a miscarriage shortly after. Needless to say, I was devastated and went into a bit of a depression. Jordan was my rock and just kept telling me to be patient. We also sold our first house on a whim, in a week, and then lived in 600 sq.ft. of fun for six months while our new house was being built.
2008: After many prayers, we finally found out that we were pregnant again. Then after months and months of non-stop all-day sickness, we finally became parents to our first son, Austin Jordan, in November. All the tears and heartache were finally worth it when we held our sweet baby boy in our arms after my c-section. Our lives would never be the same.
2009: We finally fell into the swing of this whole parenting thing. Our new trio spent lots of time in the pool, playing outside, made a trip to Sea World, etc. As Jordan and I had updated our roles to Mommy/Daddy, there was definitely a new norm to get used to. The days of being spontaneous, packing up and going somewhere, were long gone. Watching Jordan become a father to our son made me fall in love with him all over again (gag!).
2010: In the Spring, we learned that conceiving our second child wouldn't be nearly as exhausting. We also took our first big vacation as a family, Austin in tow and Chase in my belly, on another cruise. We had a blast but I was literally exhausted and miserable most of the time enduring all-day sickness once again and chasing after a toddler.
2011: We started 2011 off the first week by completing our family and welcoming little Chase Cooper into the world. Chase proved to be just as good of a baby as his big brother. However, adjusting to two kids was crazy and hectic. In the summer, we ventured to Great Wolf Lodge on a mini staycation and splashed around a bit. That was about as much of a vacation we got that crazy year.
2012: I made a big decision to take on a two-year rotation in a different group at work. The constant struggle for a work/life balance finally gave way, and I've really been enjoying my new role. Jordan also got a promotion at work and moved to the AT&T store a few miles away from our house, which was convenient! As the boys got older, we were able to keep enjoying more activities. Man, they grow up fast!
2013: We celebrated our anniversary a bit early last month, enjoying some time in Miami before heading out on another Caribbean cruise. We had a blast and definitely enjoyed our adult time away from life and all its responsibilities.
Wow, it has been a CRAZY ride these past 10 years. It hasn't always been pretty and fun, but no marriage is. We've worked through alot and fought to get where we are today. I know everyone gets married under the assumption that they'll stay married and make it to the 10yr mark. But let's be honest, it only happens about half the time. I'm definitely thankful that I took that big leap with Jordan ten years ago. We definitely fast-tracked it more than most, but our life is basically what I had hoped it would be ten years later.









No comments:
Post a Comment